Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Catching up...

I've been trying to catch up with my blog reading today. I'm glad everyone is starting to post again. It's been lonely here without you guys. Anyway, a friend posted about her new recipe for her crock pot and I thought it might be a good idea for us all to post at least one new/creative/healthy/delicious/quick recipe each week. Between us all, we could have plenty to choose from each week and it would make our families happy with more variety. So, I'll try to start doing that...maybe you guys can too. I really like meals that I can prepare for lunch for my girls. That time of day seems so daunting to me. I'd like to have any of your suggestions as to small easy meals to prepare for them at lunchtime. I'm sure there are others out there who would love the info too.

I'll share one helpful tidbit...I'm not sure how many of you prepare the old fashioned Salmon Croquettes/patties but my mom used to make them at least once per week. Mainly because it was economical and filling besides the fact that fish is really good for you. The only 2 problems I had with it was the SMELL and the BONES! I mean your kitchen would stink forever and pulling out all those little bones...UGH! (my dad always said about the bones..."that's just good calcium"...I said "ick".)
SO, I decided one day to purchase the salmon in the plastic pouch....just like tuna. It has been pulled off the bone and no water added. IT WORKED FABULOUSLY! So, if you like this meal...try the pouch salmon. It doesn't smell nearly as bad and no bones! Add a batch or cornbread and some mac and cheese...YUM!

11 comments:

KSH said...

sounds yummy rdog will love it
thanks

awc said...

I TOTALLY agree with you about lunch time!! I get TIRED of sandwiches!! So today we had pigs in a blanket. Not the healthiest but something different and fun!! I will have to get thinking of recipes--I love new recipes!!! :)

K Storm said...

Great idea...I may feature recipes that I have stolen from others. Always like new easy things to make.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great idea! I'm always looking for tested recipes. One of my favorites is a Jambalya and corn bake that I got from our church in AL. It's not "light" but it's sure delicious and feeds a crowd. Also freezes really well.

Deniese said...

A fabulous way to get in those Omega 3 fatty things...whatever they are.
I will definitely give the salmon in the pouch a try. Bake or broil them in the oven and they're even more healthy!

TRP said...

Hadn't thought about baking them! HUMM..will try that tomorrow night...since it's CDP's birthday and he loves Salmon patties....

Jeremy and Christy said...

Uh, lunchtime is no fun. You're right about that. I could definitely use any ideas there. My poor kids don't really like sandwiches so we often have a lunch (for them) of sliced turkey, string cheese, fruit and a piece of bread. Mmmmm, sounds great, right? They love it so whatever works.

MASpell said...

Salmon Croquettes(I didn't know anybody else even knew what they were!!!) I have so many memories of my grandmother's food and that was one thing she always made.

Stephanie said...

Oh yes, I remember those. I never could bring myself to even try one because they smelled so bad. My mom and dad loved them. Maybe I'll have to try them using your recipe.

The Family Bond said...

Girl, you struck a nerve with those salmon croquettes. Yes, we had them too. It must have been a food fad during that time. My mom doesn't even make anymore. Well, you may have just brought back the trend. Don't know if I'll partake in this food trend as my memories of them seem more daunting than the taste.

KSH said...

Happy Birthday Cliff
Love Rdog and Kelly
you and rdog only 2 more yrs until the big 40 right???
Hope yall have agreat weekend

Disney World 2010

Spring 2010